Tuesday, March 4, 2014
What are Superfoods? Superfoods are foods that you can eat to help prevent disease, build strong bones, help to keep your mind active and lose weight.
Here is a list of a few foods that can make a world of difference to your health:
- Black Beans – 1 cup of Black Beans has 15 grams of protein. Adding beans to your diet helps you cut calories without feeling deprived.
- Oats – ½ cup has 4.6 grams of Resistant Starch. Oats have a very low glycaemic index, which means they release sugar very slowly into the blood stream which impacts how we feel.
- Avocados – ½ an avocado will help in melting away body fat. The monounsaturated fat in avocados is oleic acid, which may help lower cholesterol.
- Salmon – full of lean protein. Can lower your risk of heart failure.
- Blueberries – 1 cup has 4 grams of fiber. Consuming a cup of blueberries per week can lower blood pressure.
- Broccoli – full of basic nutrients. Broccoli has the ability to combat depression and improve bone strength.
- Brown Rice – 1 cup will provide you with 88% of the daily value for manganese, which produces energy.
- Pears – 1 pear has 15% of your daily recommended fiber. Pears are anit-inflammatory making them a great post workout snack.
- Grapefruit - ½ a grapefruit before a meal may help lose 1 pound a week. Acts as an acne remedy or antifungal when applied topically.
There are plenty more of these superfoods. With all these different varieties of superfoods, you should be able to discover some that you can incorporate into your diet.
Just making a few adjustment to your daily diet can make several changes in your health. Again, in order to make big changes, we need to start with several small ones.
There are several articles online that will go into more detail on the advantages of superfoods. There are also several delicious recipes to try with these foods. Let Eaton Insurance know what some of your favorites are.